This project is all about boxes! To be more specific it’s about:
- Exploring volume and determining the greatest volume of a box.
- Exploring the surface area of a box.
- Designing and creating a box with the greatest volume.
- Calculating the final volume of the box created.
- Decorating the box to be a brand new kind of cereal.
- Advertising the new product.
Students learn how to calculate volume by measuring the same cereal boxes that were just tested with packing peanuts. This determines exactly which boxes have the greatest volume. Most of the time this correlates with the packing peanut experiment pretty well.
Calculating the Final Volume
TIP: The student data sheet has tables they complete that walk them through the steps of calculating volume and surface area!