Sounds pretty daunting, I know, but I am about to let you in on some little secrets!
Let’s divide the secrets into a few simple categories (always nice to organize, don’t you think?):
- You need a procedure.
- You do not need fancy materials.
- Keep it simple, but make it an experiment.
- Do allow some “playing”.
- This can be a design challenge, too.
- Clean up!
You Need a Procedure
You Do Not Need Fancy Materials
Keep it Simple, But Make It an Experiment
The first time I tried this challenge in the STEM Lab I knew I wanted to add some science to the event. So, we researched the science of bubbles and learned so much. Do you know what makes the rainbow colors in the bubbles as they are blown up?
Do Allow Some Playing
Of course, kids want to just blow bubbles, so be sure you add enough time to let the explore freely. The only rule I have during this exploration is that they cannot just blow straight into the solution in the cups to make the bubbles. I tell them this: “We already know what will happen if you do that! What else can you learn by trying something different?”
This Can Be a Design Challenge, too!
So, how did we make this into a STEM Challenge?
- Don’t use tape if you can avoid it. These wands get soggy and soapy and tape won’t stick.
- Make sure your bubble wand will fit in the bubble solution container. Sometimes ours are too big and we can’t load them with bubbles.
- Wipe the tapes with a dry paper towel.
- Then spray the table with a cleaning spray- I have 409 type spray or a Windex type spray.
- Use a wet washcloth to wipe down the tables with the cleaning spray on them.
- Repeat with fresh washcloths are no more spray and then dry with dry towels.
So, what do you think? Are you ready to try bubbles in the classroom?
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “carol0a7-20”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “2607f46c1005374dfa5a202fc4f0e333”;
amzn_assoc_asins = “B0033P9898,B00KHB39IC,B079L12BF1,B01N9K4WS8”;