How can we build a drawbridge?
- Watch videos and learn about drawbridges.
- Create an opening the bridge must cross (we call it the span).
- Create an opening for the drawbridge that will move up and down or side to side.
- Make end supports that will hold the weight of the bridge.
- Design a way to open and close the bridge!
The Span for the Bridge
Which Way Will Your Bridge Move?
Students were really intrigued with the drawbridges we viewed that did not open in the traditional up/down style. They really wanted to make the side to side version.
The Bridge Has to Have Supports
In order for the drawbridge to open and close it had to have a good support system on each side. The supports had to allow for movement and had to keep the sides of the bridge in place.
Let’s Watch One in Action!
Wasn’t that fabulous! You probably noticed that we used pencils instead of dowel sticks! This challenge was created about two years ago and that particular year I had hundreds of brand new pencils (unsharpened) and we built things with them!
More Ways to Open and Close
Below: The string that makes this bridge open runs under the roadway. What you cannot see is the crank at the top of the center that is being wound to pull the strings.